Last Updated on July 4, 2021 by masudalam
Garden planters come in a variety of shapes and sizes. More than the traditional box-shaped garden planters, homeowners can now choose from a variety of metal planters, window boxes, stone or terracotta, garden urns, and even those self-watering planters.
Garden planters can be used for flowers, shrubs, trees, and plants. They are made of a variety of materials including eco-friendly materials thus can be used throughout the yard to offer an incredible appeal and beauty. The good thing about these garden planters is that they will shape any type of plant, tree, flower, or shrub producing a wonderful décor. Here are the reviews of top 10 best garden planters;
1. Best Indoor Garden Planter: Full Depth Round Cylinder Pot
This garden planter is designed with a deep planting space that encourages root growth and this ensures that the plant grows in a healthy way. It has a built-in tray that is able to protect the decks and other indoor surfaces that may be vulnerable to extreme weather conditions.
This garden planter is lightweight as it comes with sturdy plastic and has a sleek glossy finish which gives it a classy look. This product is made in the USA and is quality cannot be questioned as it meets and exceeds the standards set. This pot is heavy duty and will serve you greatly for an extended period of time.
|– It comes with six small holes on the bottom of its pot for drainage purposes.|
– Its pot is heavy duty
– It is multipurpose and will be perfect for both interior and exterior décor
– It is available in a variety of colors for you to choose from
|– The lightweight pot can easily rip off.|
One unique thing about this product
It comes with a beautiful glossy finish making it an ideal alternative to the expensive, heavy, and fragile ceramic pots.
2. Best Outdoors: Pure Garden Square Planter for Flowers & Plants
This product gives an elegant outdoor décor. It does this by adding a personal touch to your garden, deck, patio, or outdoor entryways with this decorative planter. Then a traditional lattice pattern is then added to the sides of the container and this helps enhance the look of the planter as well as your flowers.
It is made of durable polypropylene with sturdy and thick walls that have a sleek black finish. The lightweight plant box can actually stand up to the outdoor elements with ease. This planter is easy to assemble as all you need to do is snap it together. This stylish planter can effectively hold flowers in their grow pots with little or no maintenance.
It frees you from worrying about accumulating water since it has a t-shaped bottom which will drain water easily as well as deliver sufficient oxygen to the roots of the plant.
This garden planter also comes with a bottom insert that is able to provide drainage allowing you to add potting soil and flowers directly into the box. If additional drainage is required with the insert, you can simply drill the additional holes needed to serve that purpose. This planter is long-lasting and its incredible features makes it maintenance free for the homeowner.
|– It is made of a strong and durable design|
– It is maintenance-free
– It will give the homeowner an elegant outdoor décor
|– The creases don’t seal properly allowing the soil and water to fall to the ground|
The unique feature of this product
It includes a bottom insert
3. Best Vertical: Richoose Vertical Hanging Garden Planter
This product comes with a layer that waterproof
it guards the wall and prevents it from getting any stains. Additionally, the leak-proof design of the bottom makes the ground remain neat.
It is also designed with garden pockets that are hanging and are made of cloth which is of high quality and is environmentally friendly. The bag is elastic and will provide a great environment for your plants, strawberries, vegetables, flowers, and herbs to grow and thrive.
Additionally to the bag being waterproof, it is also breathable. This means that when the plant gets enough moisture the bag will automatically ooze the excess water thus maintaining a comfortable environment for your plant to grow. These bags will also resist any sort of corrosion and the decorative planting pockets are ideal for hanging anywhere from the kitchen, living room, loft, garden, and more.
It can decorate yards, apartments, campuses, fences, courtyards, roof gardens, and any other places you would like to decorate. This planter comes in perfect size thus can accommodate more soil on its widened pockets. Its upgraded waterproof design allows you to not only be used outdoors but also will be used to beautify your interior. Since the planting bag is breathable and waterproof, it means that the overall health of the plant you put in it is improved.
|– It is great for giving decorations|
– The planting bag is breathable and also waterproof
– Can accommodate sufficient soil ideal for your plant through its widened pockets
– It’s made from environmentally friendly materials
|– You may find a pocket that is not stitched on.|
4. Best for Hanging: Umbra Triflora Hanging Planter, for Succulents, Herbs and Other Small Plants
These items give you a perfect option of hanging plants in your window. You can do this by simply hanging the planters on a metal rod. Triflora makes it very easy to water as well as display plants on your window while taking up sill space. They are easy to adjust either vertically or horizontally. You can actually slide its ropes along the rod with ease and adjust the length of the rope in order to customize the placement of the hanging planters.
They come with a 3-inch diameter plant pots meaning one doesn’t need any kind of re-potting. It comes with all the items you need to mount it. It will effectively fit a 24-inch kitchen window. It can also be wall or ceiling-mounted thus making it ideal for vines, indoor herb garden, or succulent plants. It gives you a simple and easy way of growing your herbs indoor. It is perfect for herbs as it features no holes in its pots thus no dripping. You can add pebbles or gravel to the bottom of the planter for purposes of drainage. Setting this planter up is not complicated which makes it an ideal solution to any homeowner with passion to create an indoor herb garden.
|– It comes with all the mounting hardware needed to set it all up.|
– It can be adjusted vertically and horizontally without a problem
– It will help a homeowner in creating an indoor herb garden
|– The screws that come with it are too small|
5. Best Raised: Keter Urban Bloomer 12.7 Gallon Raised Garden Bed with Self Watering Planter
This type of planter comes with ideal measurements of a length of 32, a width of 14.7 inches, and a height of 30.7 inches. This makes it ideal for planting your flowers, plants, etc. It has an installed water gauge that is easy to read and will always indicate when the plant needs additional moisture. Its drainage system is amazing as it can be easily opened and closed for proper control of watering.
It also features a water reservoir that helps in the prevention of root decay caused by overwatering. This item is easy to assemble as per the given instructions. This item is ideal for someone living in a balcony and needs to have a herb garden. It makes it easy for such a person to create an indoor herb garden since assembling the entire equipment is easy and straight forward.
|– It comes with a water gauge which indicates when the plant needs additional moisture|
– It is easy to assemble
– Its drainage system can be opened and closed easily to control the watering
|– The drainage spout is a piece of rubber|
The unique thing about this item is that it comes with its own water reservoir.
6. Best Large Planter: Smart Pots, Soft-Sided Container, 20-Gallon
It comes in an incredible design that features a soft-sided fabric aeration which has the rigidity of holding its shape. It is made in a way that provides aeration, thus enhancing root structure which results in a vigorous plant that has more fruits and flowers and has a higher disease and insect resistance.
This item allows excess heat to escape. It is made and developed for those people who want to grow trees commercially. It has a capacity to hold up twenty gallons and its diameter is 20 inches and a height of 15.5 inches. This planter is ideal for any homeowner bearing to the fact that it prevents the risk of overwatering thus allowing sufficient air to reach the roots of the plant.
|– It is ideal for plants that need air in their roots.|
– It helps in the prevention of overwatering
|– Does not come in a great design|
The unique feature of this product is that has a capacity of holding up twenty gallons of compost.
7. Best Cute Little: T4U Small White Succulent Planter Pots with Bamboo Tray Set of 6
This item features some small ceramic plant pots which are ideal for holding plants and baby succulent cactus. This item is beautifully designed and its white paint finish gives it an elegant look. This is why one can use it as a gift for your mum, sister, aunt, or daughter.
It has a drainage hole at its bottom which takes away the excess water out of the pot hence keeping the plant healthy. It comes in a set of six pots whose individual measurements are 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches by 2 inches. These good looking pots are incredibly beautiful and will improve the decor of any home. They ensure the plants put in them are safe by having a good drainage system which will prevent waterlogging.
|– The little pots are adorable and pretty|
– The pots have drain holes at the bottom
|– These pots are for the very small succulent|
The unique thing about this product is that it comes with six small pots.
8. Best Elevated: Rivet Mid-Century Ceramic Planter with Stand
These type of planter is made of a hundred percent stoneware with an iron stand. It is a two-tone, pale green and a white round stoneware planter thus becomes a very attractive piece on its own. It is combined with an iron shelf/stand thus making it very stylish and be able to hold plants perfectly. Its shelf and planter can be used at the same time or differently.
Due to its durable design, it is ideal for house plants and can also stand alone as a decorative piece as well. This planter however does not feature a drainage hole. It measures 10 inches in diameter, 14 inches in its width, and 8 inches height without a stand. This planter will last for a long time hence ideal for any homeowner out there. It will help you realize the dream of having and indoor herb garden.
|– It is a durable item|
– It is ideal for house plants
|– It does not feature a drainage hole|
The unique thing about these items is that it is made of 100% stoneware.
9. Best Wall Planter: Orimina Pack of 6 Glass Planters Wall Hanging Planters
This item comes within a package that includes six glass hanging planters with their six nails. It measures about 4.7 inches in diameter for every glass ball air plant pot. These wall hanging planters are surely the perfect containers for all your water plants, air plants, and any other plant you may want in your household proximity.
It features a hole at the back of the glass planter which allows you to effectively hang it on the wall with its white small nail without causing any damage on the wall. These planters are so beautiful and will help improve the decor of your house greatly. They ensure the growth of the plants you put in them is not interrupted by having a proper drainage system which will prevent waterlogging.
|– Its package comes with six hanging planters|
– It adds beauty to your household as they look great on the wall
|– The holes in the back are all over the place|
The unique thing about this product is that all six of its hanging planters are made of glass.
10. Best Railing Planter: The HC Companies Akro White Deck Rail Box Planter
This planter is designed in a way that it can fit two sizes of deck rails as it measures 2 by 4 inches in length and 2 by 6 inches in width. This product has great drainage because it features some easy to remove drain plugs. Its walls are made with an incredible design as they are thick and durable. This planter is sturdy and is ideal for plants that grow tall. It is well designed to last long and will serve every homeowner a great deal of time. you can also easily move it from one point to another making it an ideal for outdoor container gardening.
|– It is sturdy and can be used for several reasons|
– It is durable and lightweight
– Ideal for performing outdoor container gardening, on your porch, patio, balcony, or deck
|– In cold seasons, the plastic becomes too hard and if it falls it may break.|
The unique feature about this product is that it is designed to fit two sizes of deck rails.
What to look for when buying the best planters for garden
Porous containers like those made from timber, unglazed terracotta, paper pulp, and other natural materials usually allow air and moisture to move through them with ease. There are many benefits of breathable materials. They include;
- They make it easy for air to circulate in and out of the plant roots.
- As the moisture evaporates from the pot, it leaves a cooling effect in the soil and this draws out excess water. This helps in preventing roots from rotting.
- Porous materials also do have some drawbacks which include the following;
- These containers normally dry out quite quickly in areas that receive direct sunlight and this also makes the materials in the pot to also dry quickly.
- Pots made of porous materials will require you to regularly water the plants as compared to those made of non-porous materials like plastic or ceramic.
- These porous pots will lead to stress or death of plants if not watered on a regular basis.
- This shows that when you are looking for a gardening planter, its porosity level is of great concern. You want a product that will create a conducive environment for your plants to grow healthily.
It is worth noting that when the soil gets moist and wet, it becomes really heavy. This means that if you go for a heavy garden planter, then it will become very difficult to move it around. It is really important t consider the total weight of the pot, soil, plants, and water of each container.
This is really important, especially if you are doing your gardening on a deck or balcony.
For this, you may be required to consult an engineer to figure out the kind of weight the structure you are residing in can hold and the additional weight that will be deemed to as safe.
If you will be required to change the look of your garden regularly, then it is advisable to choose a container that is made of lightweight materials. If for instance, you receive a limited amount of sunlight, the choice of the pot you go for is extremely important. Have mobile pots will give you the advantage of moving it where the sunlight moves. For this reason, you may not need to have a pot that is too heavy.
On the other hand, if you reside in an area that is windy, the stability of your pot will be of utmost importance. A lightweight container may fall over under the force of wind. In such a case a heavy container will be an ideal choice for tall plants. Having a sturdy pot will effectively reduce the risk associated with winds and no damage will be accrued.
Regardless of the garden planter you go for, drainage is an important factor. The garden planter you go for will be required to have sufficient drainage holes. You should know that all a healthy plant to grow is the room to do so add sufficient oxygen for its roots. Too much water should drain from the pot or else the plants will drown. If the soil is waterlogged, the plant will weather under the cold conditions. One way to note if your pot is drowning is if it emits a sour smell. Therefore, looking at the drainage system of the garden planter you go for is of great importance for the healthy growth of your plants will depend on it.
When looking for a garden planter, it is good to remember whichever plants you will put there will spend all its life in that pot. You therefore should ensure that it has sufficient room for it to grow and expand without any constrains. This applies even when you have a plan of transferring it out of the planter on a later period. You will still be required to ensure a sufficient amount of space.
One of the most important things you need to understand is that we are made happy of the plant we see above the ground specifically the flowers but what is really critical for the plant is what happens down there. Underneath, the roots of the plant need to breathe and have enough room to stretch out while growing its substrate. So it is really important to get a garden planter of the right size which will have enough room to allow the plant to grow.
Planters are made of different materials and you can choose from a variety depending on your preferences. Whichever way you feel is good for you need to consider some things.
- Baskets are amazing environmentally friendly planters. They are good for both out and indoors planting, for long-lasting ones choose the one with a water-resistant coating.
- Others go for cement and concrete planters which are classy and can be customized to suit the decor in addition they are durable.
- Terracotta and clay planters are best suitable for outdoor planting as the materials look natural and porous.
- Metal planters are modern and give a classy look and it’s weather-resistant.
- Wood made planters are corrosive free and still have a natural look and offer insulation.
- Fiberglass planters are known best for their ability to retain moisture, affordable, durable, and weighs less. Go for a planter that has a material that you feel compliments your style decor.
Durability and portability are also important characteristics to look for in good planters. The materials used to make a garden planter will have a big implication in serving its purpose as indicated below..
For stone and clay, the following materials are accrued;
- Terra cotta: This is a material that has been known for a long time. It is porous and dries really quickly. Many of the garden planters made of this material are not frost-resistant.
- Concrete and stone: Both of these materials are really good at maintaining soil temperatures as well as moisture. This material heats up quickly and does not insulate. Either of these materials will withstand extreme weather conditions. However, this material is heavy and not ideal for planters that need to be moved from time to time.
- For metal and Wood: Wood is known to have good water retention properties. Wood can be treated with preservatives to prevent rot. It is advisable to look for good constructions and joints as wood is known to expand and shrink under exposure to moisture. Wood pots will survive winter conditions but it is not advisable to sit them directly to the ground.
- Metals: Pots made of metal are normally heavy hence making them ideal for stabilizing plantings that have a great height. The only challenge is that they can dry and heat up quickly which is why regular watering is required for this case. If they are not watered on a regular basis, it may heat up and bake the roots of the plant. These are usually ideal for the winter seasons.
- For synthetic, the materials are Plastic: These are usually lightweight and conserve moisture. Pots made of this material are semi-flexible and are ideal for cold winter. One can actually plant into the plastic pot and then slip the plastic pot into the more decorative container and you will be able to receive its maximum benefits.
- Fiberglass and resin: It is worth noting that these synthetic pots have come a long way. Many people will be tricked to think that they a natural material especially when they are used for a long time. They are frost-resistant, durable, light, and are inexpensive.
When looking for a garden planter, it is wise to check how durable it is. These planters will be used as a home for the plants you want to have hence their longevity will be of great interest. You would like a garden planter that will be able to withstand even extreme weather conditions if it is for outdoor purposes.
How durable the garden planter is will depend on the material which it is made of. It is advisable to go for a planter that is long-lasting.
The article above has discussed intensively on the best types of garden planters available in the market. it has also cut through the factors one needs to consider while purchasing a planter. We have looked through all the features that the buyer should be keen to look at so that they can make an informed decision.