Last Updated on September 10, 2022 by masudalam
Working in clay soil can go bad because of its properties. When it is very wet, the soil is so sticky, you can hardly make clear partitions. When it gets dry, the soil is so hard that tilling is difficult if not impossible.
For this reason, you need to find a way to manipulate the soil and have it work for you and your plants. The good thing with clay soil is, it holds nutrients very well, so you will not spend a lot on fertilizers. Clay offers many benefits like it provide a good foundation for the growth of plants. It can be improved by adding organic mater like manures, compost, pine bark, composted leaves and gypsum. Some fertilizer have also role to amend clay soil.
The best fertilizers to use on your clay soil are organic fertilizers since they have aeration capabilities. Our top pick is the Liquid Soil Loosener- Soil Conditioner which seriously impressed the users. It’s a conditioning soil treatment that soften your soil type that has trouble with compaction. Keep reading to learn more about the best fertilizers for clay soil, according to our research.
1. Liquid Soil Loosener- Simple Lawn Solutions- Any Grass Type-Great for Compact Soils, Standing water, Poor Drainage
If you are looking for a product that will help improve the soil’s drainage in your garden, you should try this liquid soil loosener. The good thing about this is that you do not have to worry about mixing it up with any other thing since it works perfectly on its own. Since it is a concentrated solution, you get to use it on more land than you would if it was a diluted version.
Using the soil loosener will help improving the drainage of your soil and prevent flooding when it rains. It also helps liquid penetrations, and that way, your plants will not drown when planted in clay soil.
- It helps downward Movement of Water and better water penetration.
- Soften your lawn soil up to 32,000 square feet using a 32 ounce bottle.
- A product of USA manufactured by a Family Owned Business.
- Ideal for all type of grass.
- Use 4 weeks before planting new seeds for better outcome.
- Type: Liquid
- Weight: 2 pounds (Enough for 32,000 sqft)
- Brand: Simple Lawn Solutions
For more info watch the video:
If there is one thing you will notice with clay soil, the plants do not get enough oxygen, which leads to your plants getting yellow. In such a scenario, getting the Monterey Dr. Soil Acidifier will come in handy for you. The best thing about this product is it will not stain your walls since it comes in an already oxidized form. It will turn into sulfate once it comes into contact with moisture and the soil. The soil acidifier helps reduce the amount of alkalinity in the soil by lowering the pH. Since clay is mostly alkaline, it might be the best soil for growing plants. Getting the acidifier will make it better. Since it can be taken in by various soils, it can be used for all farming, making it the best gardening companion.
- Use to recover iron deficiency (contain 22% iron and 55% sulfur.)
- Non-Staining for concrete sidewalks, driveways, patios, etc.
- Reduce soil pH
- OMRI listed and approved for organic gardening.
- Use on turf, flowers, vegetables, ground-covers and shrubs.
- Type: Granules
- Weight: 21 Pounds
- Brand: Monterey
The best thing about this turf builder is, you get three perks for the price of one. The builder is a fertilizer, seed, and soil improver. It is mostly used for lawn, and you will always get a greener lawn if you choose to use it. It will ensure that your plants can take root faster and better, which will, in turn, promote their soil growth. The turf builder is effective even with just one application; you get the results you so desire.
- Seed, Fertilizer & Soil improver; a 3-in-1 solution.
- Get up to a 50% thicker lawn by using one application (Depending your current lawn condition.)
- Its organic materials and essential nutrients acts like Soil Improver.
- Easy to use, just pour into your spreader then apply after adjusting settings as per label.
- Type: Granules
- Item Weight: 41.1 pounds
- Country of Origin: USA
If you are looking for a great solution for your lawn, you should consider getting this concentrated spray. It comes in a ready and easy-to-use bottle that can be sprayed directly onto your grass and soil. The solution is packed with just the right number of macronutrients, so you do not have to look for other fertilizers in the market to supplement what you already have in this concentration. It also has 16% nitrogen which forms the better part of getting chlorophyll from. The nitrogen will ensure that you have a greener and denser lawn than if you did not use it in the first place.
- A balanced lawn food which can be used to repair lawn or to treat nutrient deficiencies.
- It works great for any type of grass including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Florida Palmetto, Fescue etc.
- Made & Manufactured in the USA.
- It is designed to be applied easily.
- Type: Liquid
- Weight: 3 Pounds (cover up to 3,200 square feet)
- NPK: 16-4-8
Suppose there is one thing you need to get out of the best fertilizer for clay soil. It has to be the seaweed and kelp solution. It is made from a blend of organic materials to ensure that your lawn and plants are well taken care of. You can use this solution for your lawn and your other plants, which makes it a great addition to your home and gardening. Since it is made from organic material, it is safer around plants and small pets, and you do not worry about any of them getting affected by using it.
- A complete organic seaweed and kelp, harvested from 7 selected kelp species.
- Use for all plants like houseplants, vegetable garden, and your lawn, its simple and safe to use.
- A product of the USA.
- Fully vegan, There are no animal products in it.
- Type: Liquid
- Weight: 8.00 pounds
- Manufacturer : Bloom City
If you are looking for a way to get your entire lawn or garden the same amount of nutrients, you should consider getting the PGF balanced 10-10-10. It will help you when it comes to covering your whole garden with enough nutrients. The nutrient concentrates well into the soil, so you do not have to worry about getting enough plants. It also contains quick-release nitrogen, making it easier for the plants to make chlorophyll that aids in photosynthesis. For plants growing in clay soil, this is the deal since they can tap into as much sunlight energy as possible.
- A professional grade fertilizer ensure same amount of nutrients at every space of your garden/lawn.
- Ideal for spring and fall, but can be used any time during the growing season.
- It includes all quick-release nitrogen, micronutrients and 2% iron.
- Apply to dry foliage and water consistently for the best result.
- Type: Granules
- Weight: 18 Pounds (Covers up to 5,000 square feet)
- NPK: 10-10-10
If you are looking for the best fertilizer for heavy clay soil, then Jobe’s organics is what you should go for. It is fast-acting and will ensure that your plants and vegetables grow faster. It can also be used for your shrubs and trees, making it the perfect addition to your gardening sullies. It can be used wherever you need it to be used. It also comes in an easy-to-pour and resealable bag, making it easier to use. You will not struggle with this bag n matter how much fertilizer is left inside.
- Its organic, ideal for flowers, vegetables, shrubs, trees & plants.
- OMRI listed for organic gardening.
- Contains Jobe’s Biozomethe which improves soil conditions, resist disease, insects, and drought.
- Safe for the Environment, Kids & Pets
- Type: Granules
- Weight: 16.2 Pounds
- Manufacturer: Easy Gardener
The one way to know if you have the best fertilizer for clay soil is to look at the properties of this fertilizer. One of the main things it does is loosen up your clay so. As such, you will get a consistency that is perfect for plant growth and do not have to worry that our plants will drown or not take root. It is also easy to apply because it comes in pellets form. It is also known to cure burns that might have been caused by ice or pests. The fertilizer is perfect if you are looking for organic gardening solutions.
- Best product for loosening heavy clay soils.
- It cure turf burns from ice melters and pets.
- 100% organic nutrients, pure plant food with no fillers or sludges.
- Heavily enrich your garden soil.
- Type: Granules
- Weight: 6 Pounds
- Manufacturer: Espoma
The one thing you will get from Grow Big is a concentrate that will make your plants grow bigger and better than anticipated. It has the combination of major and minor plant nutrients that you need to make your plant grow healthy. The fertilizer is also perfect for plants, flowers, grass, and shrubs. It is a great vestment since you can use it for all your growing needs.
- Organic based blend of major, minor, and micro nutrients.
- Ideal for tomatoes, veggies, flowers, fruits, herbs, roses and lawns.
- N-P-K ratio: 6-4-4
- Type: Liquid
- Weight: 2.1 Pounds
- Brand: FoxFarm
If you are looking for a way to keep your lawn healthy, soft and conditioned then the Liquid Aerator can be the best choice for you. The safe, innovative formula of the solution will effectively loosen and soften your compacted soil, enhance soil structure your lawn or gardens, increase nutrient uptake, detoxify soil and improve plant and root growth by decreasing compaction. It provides alternative to core, physical, and mechanical aeration,
Using this solution will ensure that your plants stay healthy by improving movement of water and absorption, allowing more water, nutrients, and air to get to the root system, which is what you want.
- A safe and innovative formula of loosening hard/clay soil.
- A product of the USA and OMRI listed.
- For best results shake well before using and apply before 10am.
- Can be used after seeding.
- Type: Liquid
- Weight: 32 Ounces
- Brand: Covington Naturals
- Specific Uses : Soil Conditioner
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Best Fertilizer For Clay Soil
i) What fertilizer breaks down clay?
The one thing you will notice about clay soil is how compact it is. Since the particles are so small, clay soil tends to be clumpy and form balls of mud when wet, which dry into hard bits that cannot be tilled. While many people try to come up with solutions, the remedy is simple. All you need to do is get organic manure and add it to your clay soil. Organic fertilizer is more aerated, and when mixed with clay, it will help the particles breathe better, which translates to better soil aeration in the long run.
If you do not have organic fertilizers then any compost material will work for you. The aim here is to ensure that as much air and particles are introduced to the soil to allow for better nutrient absorption.
ii) What type of fertilizer is best for clay soil?
No specific brand names can be considered the best for fertilizers used on clay soil. All you need to do is to ensure that the fertilizer is organic also your soil does not lose valuable nutrients. You also need to ensure that it has aeration properties. With an organic and aerating fertilizer, your plans can grow better, and the soil will not retain as much water as it did in the past. It also ensures that more chlorophyll is produced, and your plants will not get moldy.
iii) What can be added to clay soil to make it better?
The one thing you need to do to your clay soil ensures that it has better structure and aeration. In order for you to do this, you need to come up with a way that will help you improve the abilities of the oils to get rid of water fast enough. The current trends and tested methods when it comes to aerating the clay soil have got to be adding organic compost, composted leaves, pine barks, and gypsum. They help to reduce the drainage and compaction problem. Never add sand or moss to your clay soils as they will not have any effects on the soil. If nothing else, it will make the entire structure of the soils get even worse. Use the right material to ensure your soil stays healthy.
iv) Should I use Gypsum to clay soil?
Gypsum is an ingredient used in making drywall and contains calcium sulfate, which is important for soil. While gypsum might not do a lot for clay soil, it does have some perks to it that will greatly improve the structure of the clay soil.
If you are looking for a way to improve the drainage of your soil, then you should definitely think about using gypsum. It will go a long way to ensure that the structure of the soil is okay, and there will be less water retention to your soil. That way, you can grow more plants in your clay sol that would not have survived in the first place.
v) What grows well in heavy clay soil?
If you plan on growing plants on heavy clay soil, then you will need to look at the root system. Mt plants with shallow roots do very well in heavy clay soil since they will not get too much moisture through their roots. The best option for you in these initial planting stages should be veggies since they all have really shallow roots. You can grow some Brussels, pumpkins, and snap beans.
Any plant in the lettuce and cabbage family will also do quite well in the heavy clay soil. You can also try your hand with sweet corn. The main thing you need to remember is to get plants that can do well in heavy soil and that have shallow roots, so they do not get suffocated in the water.
Clay soil might look like very hard soil to plant in, but the opposite is true. All you need to remember when dealing with clay soil is to get enough aeration. The good thing is there are so many fertilizers that are organic in the market, which help with this. Do your research and get a soil that will work for you and your soil needs.